Home Guam EPA Programs Permit Applications and Guidelines Laws, Regulations, Statutory Authority Environmental Education About Guam EPA Search


Applications and Instructions:
* * *

Hazardous Waste Permits and Notification

[   Air   |   Hazardous Waste   |   Land Use   |   Pesticides   |   Solid Waste   |   Water   ]

About Hazardous Waste Permits

Federal permits from U.S. EPA are required for most hazardous waste activities. This includes the treatment, storage, disposal, or transport of hazardous waste on the island. Additionally, Guam EPA has established notification requirements for underground storage tanks (USTs) and importation of hazardous waste to Guam. For a detailed explanantion of Guam EPA's hazardous waste permit and notification requirements, consult the Environmental Permit Guidebook.

Federal forms and instructions are included on this site for your convenience. If you believe that you may be subject to any federal or local hazardous waste requirements, please contact the Hazardous Waste Management Program at 475-1605/6 for more information prior to completing or submitting these forms.

NOTE:All permit application forms and guidance on the Guam EPA web site are presented as PDF files. Viewing and printing PDF files requires the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader. More about PDF files.

Notification of Regulated Waste Activity

Several activities require notification to Guam EPA and U.S. EPA and receipt of a U.S. EPA Identification Number. These activities include, but are not limited to: facilities which generate certain quantities of hazardous waste; treatment, storage, disposal, or transport of hazardous waste; and marketing, transporting, or processing used oil. The instructions for U.S. EPA Form 8700-12 (below) contain guidelines to determine whether a given activity requires notification. U.S. EPA Form 8700-12 is used to obtain a U.S. EPA Identification Number.

Federal RCRA Permit

The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) requires anyone who owns or operates a facility where hazardous waste is treated, stored, or disposed to have a RCRA hazardous waste permit issued by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA).

There are two parts to a RCRA hazardous waste permit application -- Part A and Part B. Part A of the RCRA hazardous waste permit application comprises EPA Form 8700-23, along with maps, drawings, and photographs, as required by 40 CFR 270.13. Part B of the RCRA hazardous waste permit application contains detailed, site-specific information. There is no form for the Part B Permit Application; rather, the Part B Permit Application must be submitted in narrative form and contain the information described in applicable sections of 40 CFR 270.14 through 270.27.

Underground Storage Tank Notification

Underground Storage Tanks (USTs) on Guam must be registered with the Agency to ensure compliance with local and federal UST regulations. Federal law requires UST owners to use this notification form for all USTs storing regulated substances that are brought into use after May 8, 1986, or USTs in the ground as of May 8, 1986 that have stored regulated substances at any time since January 1, 1974. The information requested is required by Section 9002 of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), as amended. The application form (below) contains more detailed instructions and information.

Hazardous Waste Importation Notification

Hazardous Waste Importers (into the Territory of Guam) must obtain an Administrator's Consent. A complete notification must be submitted sixty (60) days before the initial shipment is intended to depart from the point of embarkation. The importer may accept the hazardous waste only after receiving the Administrator's Consent. Guidelines for notification are outlined in the Guam Hazardous Waste Management Regulations (GHWMRs) Part IV, Subpart N. These guidelines have been summarized in the document below.

Where to File the Application Forms

Applications should be sent to:

Guam Environmental Protection Agency
P.O. Box 22439 GMF
Barrigada, GU 96921

or hand delivered to:

17-3304 Mariner Ave.
Tiyan, Guam 96913

There are no initial fees for any hazardous waste permits. Guam EPA accepts federal permit applications and reviews them locally to ensure completeness before forwarding the application to U.S. EPA.

Availability of Information to the Public and Confidential Treatment of Information

Information contained in the permit application will, upon request, be made available to the public for inspection and copying. If sources wish to request confidential treatment for business information, such information should be submitted separately to Guam EPA, along with a claim of confidentiality.

Assistance in Completing Application Forms

If you have any questions about the application forms, please contact Guam EPA's Hazardous Waste Management Program at 475-1605/6.

[   Air   |   Hazardous Waste   |   Land Use   |   Pesticides   |   Solid Waste   |   Water   ]


[   Home   |   Programs   |   Permits   |   Regulations   |   Education   |   About GEPA   |   Search   ]

URL: https://guamepa.govguam.net/permits/hazwaste.html
Last update: 23 December 2000

Comments? E-mail the .